Saturday, January 7, 2012

Bundesgrenzschutz Bezard Compass, BGS Marching Compass and Case

I just received a new item to add to my growing collection of Bundesgrenzschutz gear and uniforms.  It is a Bundesgrenzschutz, Fluid Bezard compass by Lufft.


From what I can tell, this is one of the last models used by the BGS.  It appears to be completely intact, with only a few small paint blemishes and some slight wear.  The leather case is in great shape and the original neck cord is intact.


I won't go into all of the historical detail about the Bezard compasses and how they are used, but I will give you a link to a fantastic website that gives an amazingly complete run-down on all of the models and how they are used....... it even has info on the BGS compasses!


http://www.compassmuseum.com/hand/bezard.htm

I am still trying to track down some more specific information about the BGS use of this compass and what models and dates of compasses they used.  I am guessing that these Bezard compasses were used from the very beginning of the BGS until the end.  The compasses are nearly identical to the WW2 version that was used by the German Army and these Bezard's were used by many of the European armies after WW2.


I received a scanned version of a classroom training handout from a friend in Berlin who served in the BGS back in the 1990's.  I have included a copy of this "Compass Manual" after the compass photo album.

Here is the photo album:



Here is the BGS handout for the Bezard Compass:

No comments: