Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Coleman 425B Two Burner Camp Stove, Gasoline fired, circa 1950's


This last Sunday, Sweet Pea and I stopped by the Children's Thrift, thrift store in Port Townsend on our way home from running an errand or two.  I picked up another Colman camp stove for the ever growing vintage camping collection.  The stove was marked with a 25% off tag and I ended up getting it for about the cost of a cup of coffee!

The stove has never been fueled or fired up and retains nearly 98% of the original paint and finish.  There is a little bit of storage corrosion on the fuel supply tube and fittings, but that should clean up nicely.  The only markings that I can find on the stove is the old style Coleman emblem inside the lid, and the stamped in model number and company information,


There is not much definitive information about what years that this model was produced, but from what I can tell from my research, the Model 425B was manufactured from 1949 through the 1950's and maybe into the very early 1960's.  I would guess that this stove falls firmly in the 1950's zone.  This model stove is designed to burn white gas (gasoline without any additives, commonly sold as "Coleman Fuel").

I'll do a little bit of cleaning on the stove before firing it up, but until then, enjoy these pictures:

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just saw your stove, looks fantastic. brings back many a snowy winters, losing power, snow days as a kid. I have my fathers still in the original box, going to rebuild and full restore as a project this winter....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TotallyTidy said...

I bought a Coleman 425B at a garage sale about 15 years ago, not realizing how old it is. My parents used the "same green stove" when we camped as a family in the 1970s. I thought it might be about time to get some replacement parts to make sure we don't blow up ourselves and the campsite when we next take it along (we have a propane stove as well). Now that I know it dates to the 1950s, do you know if I can still use modern parts to update my filler cap and air stem, for example? Thanks, Carolyn

Sharky said...

You can use the new style tank cap in place of the old style, 3-piece caps. In fact, the newer one piece caps are supposed to be much safer to use............ not as old-school-cool as the old style though! Prowl eBay for new-old-stock parts.......

Unknown said...

Hermosa estufa. Yo conseguí la 425 de finales de los cuarenta. Y funciona muy bien a pesar de los años que tiene.

TotallyTidy said...

I have a similar Coleman camp stove that dates back to the 1940's, and I'm reluctant to use it because I don't know if it's safe. Does anyone know someone in the Phoenix area who can check it over for me? I grew up camping in California with a similar stove my parents own and would love to have the confidence to use this one that I picked up at a garage sale as well.

Unknown said...

Mientras no tenga fugas no te preocupes

Wyomarine said...

I have the same model with red tank, it dates from 1958-61. My parents bought it new when I was about 5-6 yrs old, we used it a few times and it's almost like new. Yours is exceptional.

For those of you needing help with old stoves/lanterns; watch YouTube and educate yourselves, you don't need to pay some inexperienced "expert" to fix your gear. Start here and they will help you.
https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/

Wyomarine