Tuesday, May 3, 2011

40mm Bofors Anti-Aircraft Guns, USS Bremerton

While driving through Bremerton, Washington this past weekend, I noticed a couple of old 40mm Bofors Anti-Aircraft Guns in a tiny city park.  I did a "round-the-block" and found a place to park by the side of the road.  The park was a tiny little wedge of land, at a busy crossroads, with no public parking.........a few beer bottles here and there, and grossly neglected, unfortunately.  The little park was a monument to the USS Bremerton, the namesake of the city.  Two, quad mounted AA guns and a huge ship's anchor and chain from the original ship and a memorial plaque..... one set of quad mounted AA guns on each side of the anchor, nice framing, odd park.



USS Bremerton  CA-130

The USS Bremerton was a Baltimore Class heavy battleship that was built at the very end of WW2, and launched in July 1944.  She saw active combat in the Korean War in 1951 - 1952.  She was decommissioned in 1960 and sold for scrap in 1973


Here's a link to the Wiki page about the USS Bremerton.




The two guns at the park are US made versions of the Swedish Bofors 40mm anti-aircraft guns.  During WW2, Chrysler of the USA, built 60,000 of the guns for US ships and land units.

Here is a link to the Wiki page about these famous 40mm Bofors Anti-Aircraft Guns.




And here are the photos of the two AA guns in the park.............



Here are a few photos of the AA guns in action during WW2:

6 comments:

marco said...

My father, Louis Lopez, Jr. served on the U.S.S. Bremerton at the end WWII, and I have many photos that he took, as well as patches from his uniform and hat bearing the "U.S.S. Bremerton", and his dog-tags......my dad passed away Feb. 20, 2009 and serving on the Bremerton was one of the highlights of his life.

Mick Hersey said...

I am Mick Hersey from Bremeerton WA. I am spearheading a renovation and preservation of these guns and the anchor. I will be pressure washing them tomorrow, and next weekend sailors from the USS Stennis, our hometown Aircrafft carrier will help me repaint them. We are also getting new plaques made to honor both USS Bremertons the CA and the SSN. Please come back and see them after the renovations.

Sharky said...

That's fantastic! Those guns really need some attention if they are going to make through this next century. I will definitely swing by and check them out next time I pass through Bremerton...... stay tuned for a blog posting with photos of the newly spruced up Bofors! Feel free to email any photos of the work day if you think of it. I'd love to have a few to post on the blog. I actually get quite a number of folks who check out the blog entry each month. I'll be sure to give you guys credit and include any contact info you might have. Keep up the good work and THANKS!

pitguy01 said...

My Father, Albert C. Trujillo also served on the Bremerton as a gunner in the last part of WWll and the Korean War. I use to have two photo albums of pics he took along with his medals and battle stars. alas i they were lost in a move.

To hear him speak of the Bremerton on would think it was his child

jayd said...

Gosh, Bremerton sure must have changed a lot since my days stationed there in early 60s. I don't recall ever seeing these guns or the park mentioned. But then again, I doubt I was looking. So long ago. Congratulations on renovation btw.

jayd said...

PS: I do remember lots of rain and mist and some cold, non of which ever bothered me. Nice being young. Innit?