Sunday, March 30, 2008

New Stove Legs



I tracked down a set of four, solid bronze, very heavy (about 2 1/2 lbs. each!), new-old legs on eBay. The Seller who sold these to me buys out new-old stock from European foundries and then sells them "retail". The legs are at least 50 years old, and probably much older according to the seller. I agree............... although, I would date them as OLD as opposed to the 50 year old range. I built up the new "undercarriage" for the Newport Stove today and mounted the legs. It turned out great! I will have to wait until I can line things up with the stove pipe before drilling and bolting it all together permanently. I will add a front panel of brass to cover the open frame of the lower "undercarriage" after it is all bolted up. Maybe if I can find a long and narrow piece of bronze ornament, I'll add that over the brass cover plate.

This stove was originally a wall mounted unit, and was never produced as a free-standing one. We are doing a "grand conversion" on it and bringing it BACK to the look of an older time.
More photos after we get it all finished up.


No comments: