Friday, August 17, 2012

Mosin Nagant Bayonet Scabbard, A Modern Recreation From My Shop

After picking up the new Mosin Nagant M91/30 rifle last month, I started doing some more research about the gun and its accessories, the bayonet in particular.  I found it quite interesting that the Soviets issued the rifle with a bayonet, but no scabbard!  It seems that they expected that the bayonet would be installed on the rifle at all times.  In fact, the rifle was even sighted in with the bayonet installed and as such, if the bayonet is removed, the accuracy suffers.  I however, wanted an authentic Cold War or WW2 looking Soviet scabbard for my belt and bayonet...................


So, I made one myself!  I used period techniques and replicated the style of scabbards that would have, or could have, been used by the Soviets during this era.  I couldn't be happier with my results!

I decided that the easiest and most accurate style that I could fabricate in the shop, would be the typical canvas over wood style of the 1940's and early 1950's.  This would also match the age of the rifle quite well. 
  • I started off by carving out the blade channel from two matching pieces of mahogany wood. 
  • Then, I used a hand plane and tapered them to the outside shape, with a wall thickness of about 1/4 inch. 
  • I glued the two halves together and then did some finish work on the wood.
  • I tailored and sewed a canvas cover over the wood.
  • I then painted the canvas with thinned oil enamel and then finished with a second coat of "full strength" enamel.
  • I finished it up with several coats of ultra-flat, green spray paint.
  • I riveted up a leather scabbard frog and added a leather cord to secure the bayonet.
  • As a final touch, I stenciled a Soviet Red Star on the scabbard to give it that "real" Cold War feeling.
 I designed the scabbard frog so that it would hang from one of the "D" ring belt loops on the Russian belt.  The leather hanger loop has a floating rivet-stud that buttons through a button hole in the back portion of the loop.  This allows the scabbard to be removed, or moved, easily and it also gives a nice "swing" which allows it to fall to the side when sitting.  With a bayonet this long, you definitely do not want it to be attached too rigidly!  Overall, I cannot think of anything I would change........ I got it right on the first try!

Here are some photos of the scabbard, scabbard and bayonet, and the entire belt rig:


I am currently looking for a set of brown leather "Y" strap suspenders to use with the belt rig, but until then, I'll be attaching my East German, nylon "Y" strap suspenders as a fill in......... as an added bonus, I can also attach my East German combat pack to the "Y" strap "D" rings.  Here are a few pictures:


No comments: