Sunday, September 9, 2012

Mosin Nagant Ammo Tin 7.62 x 54r, Ready for Display

Here is a quick follow-up on the Russian ammo can that I opened up yesterday...........  


The "double door" hole I cut open on the back of the can worked great for getting the ammo out. and it really helped when it came to bending it all straight again.  I carefully straightened and bent the "doors" back with pliers so that it was relatively flat and level with the surrounding surface.  The can looks pretty darn good and is ready for display!  I have considered filling the cut area with something like epoxy putty and painting, but I think I will just leave it "raw" and unmodified for now.  Another option I have considered is using aluminum tape, cut in thin strips, to cover the cuts, and then painting to match............... The can as it is  now will work perfect for any field display, and it doesn't weigh 25 pounds!

Here are some shots of the newly closed "doors" on the bottom of the tin:






No comments: