Sunday, June 3, 2012

Remington 870 Tactical Project: Rothco Single Point Sling

Here is the next update in the continuing Remington 870 Tactical Shotgun Project.  

After quite a bit of research and consideration, I decided to go with a single point bungee sling for the new tactical shotgun set-up.  I struggled quite a bit with the correct color to use for my tactical gear.  I finally decided to stick with Coyote Brown for the sling and upcoming tactical vest and chest rig.  Coyote brown is a fantastic "bridge color" that fits in well with all of the camo and solid BDU uniforms, from desert tan, to the new multicam and everything in between.  After checking out the photos, I'm sure you'll agree!



I found a sling that looked like it had all of the options that I was looking for.  It also appeared to be very well made, with heavy webbing and metal clips and adjusters.  The sling is made by Rothco and they run about $20.  After looking it over and hooking it up to the the shotgun, I can say that $20 is a bargain for this sling! 


It came with two attachment options.  The first is an HK clip that will clip nicely to the single point adapter between the shotgun receiver and stock, and the other is a strap that can be connected to the quick release mount on the stock.  Changing between the two is easy, as they are both mounted to the male end of a snap buckle. 


The only modification I think I will make to the set up is to fold and sew the bitter end of the quick release strap so that it can't accidentally pull through the adjuster (not really a modification, actually more like a finishing touch).  This isn't a flaw with the sling, as you need this strap to be flat if you want to thread and attach it to a quick release.

I haven't had a chance to try out the new sling set up in the field yet, but it feels great on my "dry run" practice draws here at the house!  I think I will use the quick release option as my "everyday" set up and have the HK clip as a back up.  The shotgun seems to hang better from the quick detach swivel set up and it keeps the sling clear of the grip and trigger.

Here is the album of photos:


4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Just wanted to say great job on the review. Was looking to buy a single point sling and came across your page by chance on Google and because of what I read I just ordered one. Thanks and keep up the great work.