Friday, July 1, 2011

WW2 US Mess Kit M-42, Knapp Monarch Company 1945

Yesterday Sweet Pea and I were over in Silverdale on our monthly pay-day shopping trip and we decided to make a quick stop at the Goodwill.  In the "sporting goods section", I spotted an old US, WW2 mess kit!  I guess there are still WW2 treasures lurking around out there just waiting to be discovered by the diligent treasure hunter......... This kit is dated 1945 and was manufactured by Knapp-Monarch Co.


The mess kit is a Model 42 (M-42), in brand new and unissued condition!  The kit is constructed out of stainless steel with a galvanized steel handle.  This kit looks like it was just issued out of the Quartermaster's Warehouse!  Normally the field silverware set was carried inside (knife, fork, spoon).  A cup was also provided that nested around the bottom of the canteen.  (I'll do another posting of the full set with canteen, mess kit, cup and silverware).  Not much more to say about this mint condition mess kit, so I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves.


Here are some great WW2 photos of GI's enjoying a meal out of their mess kits:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I read somewhere that alder 1944 and 45 production went to the Pacific theater. I have my father's one that has a lot of hand artwork on it and he was with the 11th airborne division in new Guinea and the Philippines.511th inf.