Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Marbles No. 5 Pocket Axe Re-Finished and Blued. Number 5 Pocket Axe

Today's post is a bit of an update to a previous post I made back in March of 2011.  Back in 2011,  I showcased my modern Marbles Number 5, and vintage Marbles No. 6 pocket axes.  Since then, I have revisited the old Number 5 Pocket Axe and did a bit of re-finishing.


I was unhappy with the bright, bare metal finish on the modern No. 5 axe, so I decided that it was time to look into my "patina options".  I have recently been using cold blue paste to touch up, age and restore old tools.  I decided to give it a try on the No. 5.

Here is the link to the Birchwood Casey Blue Paste that I use:

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Refinishing/Metal-Finishing/Perma-Blue%C2%AE-Liquid-Paste-Gun-Blue.aspx 

I polished and cleaned up the finish on the head, and folding edge cover, with fine sandpaper and then wiped it all down with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).
Then I applied a thick coat of the bluing paste and allowed the metal to darken. After several minutes, I wiped off the paste and applied a second coat.  When the metal had darkened up to a wonderful "gun-metal blued finish", I wiped the metal down, cleaned the finish with another wipe-down of alcohol, and called it good!

I gave the wood a light sanding and then finished and sealed it with two coats of Danish Wood Oil-Finish.

That's it, a "new axe" with a custom finish!
You can see my original blog posting from back in 2011 here:

http://sharky-fourbees.blogspot.com/2011/03/marbles-pocket-axe-no-5-and-no-6.html

Here is the album of the "New Marbles Pocket Axe No. 5".  I hope this inspires some of you to customize your own Pocket Axe or daily chopper!












1 comment:

Ron said...

Great surface treatment, I know its made in China, but they did a good job, especially it being embossed like that with the name. later it was laser etched which I find to be a cheap kind of a job. embossing the name and all that good stuff really adds value to the product and it looks so nice. Got an original marble no 5 axe head only on ebay recently. all said and done it had cost me $93 shipped. Very nice piece. Will have fun making the handle for it!

Ron