Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Wilcox Crittenden Bronze Head



On Sunday, after getting back from Seattle, I headed out to the boat to do a little work. As I headed out, at about 2:30 pm, I passed a pile of "stuff" with an old road bike propped up against it by the road in Port Hadlock. It looked like a pile of post-yard sale "free stuff". I made a u-turn and stopped in to check it out. It turned out that it was an impromptu yard sale and the guy who was selling it all wanted "at least $90.00" for the bike (worth maybe $25.00 tops). I visited with him a bit, passed on the bike, but then spotted an old marine head in another pile of his stuff for sale. I asked him how much and he made me the "deal of deals" :) I left with a vintage Wilcox Crittenden marine head with perfect porcelain bowl, beautiful bronze plumbing, uncracked wood seat and lid and and to top it all off, it seems to pump and work just fine. This is an old one, and I'm not sure on the exact age, but I would put it back around WWII era, just a guess for now. The new version in bronze goes for around $900 plus! Rebuild kits are still available for these as well...... another project!

No comments: